- Leaving and Believing: A Longitudinal Study of the Faith of Church Leavers. in The Australian Journal of Mission Studies. Vol 5 N0. 1 June 2011. p53-59.
- Churchless Faith: Trajectories of Faith Beyond the Church: From Evangelical, Pentecostal and Charismatic Churches to Post-church Groups. in International Review of Mission. Vol. XCII N0. 365; April 2003. p217-226.
- Post-Church Groups and their Place as Emergent Forms of Church, in International Journal for the Study of The Christian Church. Vol 6, N0 1. 2006. p65-74.
- Should I Stay or Should I go? Why people leave church. in Canvas, Issue 4 1997
- A churchless Faith: Why some Christians Abandon Church to find God. in FaithWorks, Sept-Oct 2002. p4-8. (This article by Craig Bird draws heavily on Alan's research and insights.)
Articles Available on Net:
Reviews of Books
- A Churchless Faith - Ph.D. Thesis; (1998) Sociology Department, Canterbury University available here